Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oven Baked Brown Rice

Since Theresa asked for it today in the meeting.

Oven-baked Brown Rice
From: Best Light Recipes, America's Test Kitchen

1 1/2 cups long-, medium-, or short-grain brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
1 TBSP olive oil
Salt

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 375. Spread rice in an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
2. Bring water and oil to boil, covered. Once water is boiling, immediately stir in 1/2 tsp salt and pour the water over the riced. Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil and bake until the rice is tender, about 1 hour.
3. Remove the baking dish from oven. Uncover, and fluff the rice with fork. Cover dish with a clean kitchen towel and let stand for 5 min. Uncover and let stand for 5 min longer before serving.

*I let it cool a little more on the counter, then put it in the fridge for a bit. Once totally cooled I put it in baggies (3/4cup servings, but you can do whatever) and then put them in the freezer. To reheat I take it out of the baggie and microwave for 2-3 min.
*I also make a double batch in a 9x13' pan

1 comment:

Lisa G. said...

The rice sounds yummy! Thanks, Renee.
Lisa's Saturday NSVs:
1) Went to WW, despite the fact that snow was starting to fall again as I was driving there.
2) Ate brunch at Alexa's Cafe. Ordered the French toast with banana - one fruit down.
3) Ate only half the French toast. Actually stopped eating while waiting for a box, instead of "picking." I drank my tea to keep my hands busy and concentrated on the conversation.